Reviews and Press
Awards and Honors
- Winner, 2019 Spur Award for Best Historical Nonfiction Book from the Western Writers of America (Mar. 2019)
- Center for Great Plains Studies January Great Plains Book of the Month (Jan. 2019)
- Native American and Indigenous Studies7, no. 2 (Fall 2020): 181-183. Reviewed by Nicole M. Guidotti-Hernández.
- American Historical Review125, no. 3 (June 2020): 1061-62. Reviewed by Bruce Granville Miller.
- H-Borderlands, H-NET Reviews, June 2020. Reviewed by Sonia Hernandez.
- Journal of Borderlands Studies(May 2020). Reviewed by Pierre-Alexandre Beylier.
- Western Historical Quarterly, 51 no. 2 (Summer 2020): 203-204. Reviewed by Kurt Kinbacher.
- Journal of American History104 no. 4 (March 2020): 1013-1032. Reviewed by Jeffrey D. Means.
- Montana: The Magazine of Western History69 no. 3 (Autumn 2019): 83-85.Reviewed by Andrew H. Fisher.
- Southwestern Historical Review123 no. 2 (October 2019): 242-245. Reviewed by Eric V. Meeks.
- The Historian81 (June 2019): 297-298. Reviewed by Ryan Hall.
- Pacific Historical Review88 no. 3 (Summer 2019): 484-485. Reviewed by Julian Lim.
- Roundup MagazineXXVIIno. 9 (June 2019): 40. Reviewed by James McGrath Morris.
- Journal of Arizona History60 (Spring 2019): 113-115. Reviewed by Hans M. Carlson.
- Borderlands History Blog,February 2019. Reviewed by Timothy Bowman.
- American Indian Culture and Research Journal42 no. 4 (2018): 135-137. Reviewed by Robert Michael Morrisey.
- Interview on the Utah Dept. of Heritage & ArtsSpeak Your Piecepodcast (September 2020).
- Interview withWild West Magazine(Vol. 32, Nr. 16, April 2020, 16)
- NPR Interview on Arizona Public Media’sThe Buzzprogram (November 2019)
- NPR Interview on Utah Public Radio’sAccess Utahshow (April 2019)
- Q&A Interview with the Erstwhile History Blog (Feb. 2019)
- New Books Network Podcast Interview (Dec. 2018)